My Photo
Name:
Location: San Diego County, California, United States

Like shopping and finding bargains at Outlets, Discount Stores, Indoor/Outdoor Swapmeets, Yard/Garage Sales & Thrift Stores. Enjoy watching old black & white classic movies, HGTV, Food Network, VH1, AMC, TV Land, A&E, TCM, "E", Discovery, Travel and the History Channel. Pastime favorites, Gourmet Cooking, Baking, Working Out at a Gym & Tennis.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

THEY’RE GONE

This past June, one Saturday morning, Screg and I decided to take the Trolley for fun; something we always wanted to do to see all the places that the Trolley goes. The last time I took the Trolley was about 6 years ago when we went to a Martial Arts Convention at the San Diego Civic Center. It was a fun ride; we got an early start from South Bay, parked his car at the Trolley Station parking lot and headed on the Trolley.

The Trolley routes are divided into three sections by color codes: Blue, Orange and Green lines. We took the routes of riding from South Bay’s Chula Vista through National City, Barrio Logan, Southeast San Diego, Downtown San Diego, Hazard/Mission & Fashion Valley, Old Town, Qualcomm Stadium, Grantville, San Diego State University, La Mesa, El Cajon & the last stop of Santee Town Center in which we had lunch at ‘RoadHouse’ in the strip mall. After lunch, we headed back on the Trolley and rode the reverse direction back to South Bay all the way to the end route of Tijuana Mexico and then from T.J. back to our starting point.

One of the things I noticed was our route through Old Town we passed by one of my favorite stores in which I discovered was closed; Pier 1 Imports Clearance Store no longer exists. I have shopped at this store for years and have bought nice items for the home at reasonable prices. When we got home I called one of the Pier 1 Import stores and the sales clerk said that they closed all of there clearance stores nation wide; I guess they weren’t doing too well in sales. Although I admit the last time I was there browsing most of the items were starting to look pretty gaudy; there were still a few things that caught my eye that I didn’t buy. Well, since it is an outlet store you’re not going to find those items at the Pier 1 Import stores or online.

One thing for sure is that it doesn’t take long for these vacant buildings to become a target for graffiti. I will miss finding bargains at this store. Oh, and I can’t wait for our next adventure…..riding the Coaster!!

13 Comments:

Blogger caninecologne said...

hi HF,
I just saw the closed down Pier I clearance store yesterday (on my way home from the Tea place) - it's been closed for about a year now. I used to get stuff there too. Sounds like you an Ronin had a fun time doing the trolley tour.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Thor said...

Talking about the Coaster reminds me that the Spaghetti Factory in Fullerton is right next to their train station.

I wonder how long that trip would be?

3:44 PM  
Blogger HotFudge said...

Hey Canine,

Actually, they've only been closed for a couple months now; they closed in June of this year. The last time that I was there was May of this year and bought some of their greeting cards. I like their greeting cards because they were different and out-of-the-ordinary than your typical Hallmark cards.

I went there quite often mostly too browsed just to see what new items they got in. Sometimes if something caught my eye that I liked I would buy it.

There were some particular items that I was waiting for to come in but no such luck. In some cases, I saw something that I liked and didn't buy but hoped that it would still be there on my next visit; but as Big Lots say, "Once Their Gone, They're Gone."

12:46 PM  
Blogger HotFudge said...

Thor, have you and Lotus ever ridden the Coaster? It would be cool if the Coaster actually went that far. Someone told me that their ending point is Del Mar/Solana Beach; but I went to their website and it looks like its Oceanside.

Is Spaghetti Factory in Fullerton still open? Too bad they closed in San Diego.

To travel as far as Fullerton on a train would be a great ride on the Amtrak. I've been to Colorado 3 times (twice by plane), I took the Amtrak train once to go and visit my cousin when she lived in Denver. I must say that it was one of the best scenic routes I ever saw. Although, when it was bed time, I wish that I had rented a bed. Sleeping on those seats was one of the most uncomfortable experiences.

1:21 PM  
Blogger caninecologne said...

hf
yeah, what was i thinking? i guess i assumed it was closed because it looked like it was dead all the time.

6:18 PM  
Blogger bert wolfe said...

I remember a time way back, when the guys and I took the trolley from the Iris(?) station into downtown to go to a comic store. Back then I think the one-way trip was $1.25.

The last time I was on the SD trolley was when Canine and I took TC from the Mission Valley station to Qualcomm and back. Short ride, but it was TC's first experience on a trolley.

8:20 AM  
Blogger HotFudge said...

Bert, I remember a time waaaaay back when one of the assignments I had for a temp agency was to test the ticket dispenser machines for the trolley when they were coming to San Diego.

It was an evening position in Kearny Mesa, I worked til 11pm in a warehouse just feeding money into the machines to make sure they worked correctly.

There were several workers in this warehouse and we had to sit on a stool for hours just doing that.

Boy do I have stories to tell, most are bad. sometimes I think about just writing a book titled, "My Temp Agencies Jobs Adventures."

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, there's still the Spaghetti Factory in Onceaside, off the 78. Thor and I just ate there for our 10-year anniversary. It's a bit of a drive though...

10:06 PM  
Blogger HotFudge said...

Thanks for letting me know Lotus!

Perhaps, when Screg and I do the 'Coaster' one day we can check it out.

8:53 AM  
Blogger caninecologne said...

ooh the old spaghetti factory. i miss the one downtown. i remember when it used to be scary to park down there! i had my 21st bday celebration at t/old spag. factory. i always liked getting that spaghetti with the four different sauces/cheese (especially the mizithra cheese). now that place downtown is gone and it's a fancy italian place called dussini.

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, the Spaghetti Factory in Oceanside is closer to the 15, just a couple exits west. But, it's still close enough for to make an afternoon out of it.

8:53 PM  
Blogger HotFudge said...

Lotus, would you happen to know of any local greasy spoon diners or cafes that sell kick-ass comfort food and chili without the beans?

11:19 AM  
Blogger ScregMan said...

Trolley rules. It's wonderful to let someone else do the driving. I get such satisfaction when I'm riding on the trolley, past all the cars backed up on the I5...

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home