My Photo
Name:
Location: San Diego County, California, United States

Like shopping and finding bargains at Outlets, Discount Stores, Indoor/Outdoor Swapmeets, Yard/Garage Sales & Thrift Stores. Enjoy watching old black & white classic movies, HGTV, Food Network, VH1, AMC, TV Land, A&E, TCM, "E", Discovery, Travel and the History Channel. Pastime favorites, Gourmet Cooking, Baking, Working Out at a Gym & Tennis.

Friday, August 11, 2006

PUERTO NUEVO STYLE MY ASS!

Everytime when I get that craving for Mexican style lobster I go to the Bonita Store or Rockin Baja Lobster and every single time I go I’m always disappointed. Then why even go? They are the only 2 Mexican style lobster places that I know of without having to go South of the Border. Also, maybe I think something magical will happen and they will change and prepare Mexican style lobster the way its suppose to be prepared. Their lobster is overcooked; dry, had no garlic at all and not enough butter. In addition too dipping the lobster in the butter there’s also something about basting it with lots of butter when cooking on the grill; it makes the lobster very tender and not overcooked.

I use to get Mexican style lobster at 3 places before they folded, two places were located in CV one on Bonita Rd & the other on E. St and there was this place in Mission Valley. These places prepare Mexican style lobster the way its suppose to be prepared; grilled and basted with garlic, lots of butter and Mexican spices. The lobster is so tender that it comes out of the shell easily.

One thing I know about lobster is that Vietnamese & Mexican style are the best. American/English style is just boiled in water and dipped in butter but doesn’t have any flavor. Vietnamese style is my favorite, they sauté theirs and prepare it so many ways. I’ve had it sautéed in butter, garlic, salt & pepper, green onions, onions, ginger and tamarind sauce (not all at once of course). I’ve never been disappointed with Vietnamese style lobster, it’s always tender. My first taste of Vietnamese food was when I came across this restaurant on Fairmount and University Ave, it folded years ago and I ordered a whole crab. The crab was prepared fried or stewed with brown gravy, green onions and lots of garlic; boy was it good. It had so much garlic in it that I left the restaurant reeking with garlic.

Can anyone please tell me where I can get some good Mexican style lobster without having to go south of the border?

7 Comments:

Blogger Kilatzin said...

can't help ya on the puerto nuevo style, but wifey, baby and i should definitely take ronin and yourself up to this restaurant called kimsue in little saigon. for my money, it's the best lobster vietnamese style around!

think we took shogun and lotus there.

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I remember it well....

Much better than plain old boiled lobster with clarified butter. Ick.

Okay Hot Fudge, I've seen a restaurant, I think it's called Puerto Nuevo Lobster on H Street. When you exit from the 5, it's on the south side, in a strip mall before the AM/PM. I think there's also an Army recruiting office in the mall. I think it's still there but I've never tried it. Perhaps it's worth a shot.

Hope so...

9:35 PM  
Blogger caninecologne said...

i thought that place closed?

the best lobster i had was down south in puerto nuevo. forgot the name of the place but it's in the lobster village area.

9:28 AM  
Blogger HotFudge said...

Kilatzin,
Thanks for the Stern CD. I listened to it in my car and chuckled the entire way to the Vagabond yesterday.
The next time Screg and I are in your area visiting we would love to try Kimsue.

Lotus,
Thanks for the recommendation, but Canine is right. Unfortunately, Puerto Nuevo Lobster on H. St closed sometime ago. Screg and I use to go there and they had pretty good lobster.

2:48 PM  
Blogger mikshir said...

sniff sniff, i want a copy of the stern cd

12:25 AM  
Blogger caninecologne said...

thane, i'll send u a copy.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Diane H. Boehm said...

Try Ortega's in Hillcrest. They are a relative of the Ortega's in Puerto Nuevo.

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home