My Photo
Name:
Location: San Diego County, California, United States

Like shopping and finding bargains at Outlets, Discount Stores, Indoor/Outdoor Swapmeets, Yard/Garage Sales & Thrift Stores. Enjoy watching old black & white classic movies, HGTV, Food Network, VH1, AMC, TV Land, A&E, TCM, "E", Discovery, Travel and the History Channel. Pastime favorites, Gourmet Cooking, Baking, Working Out at a Gym & Tennis.

Monday, July 31, 2006

I’M ON THIS GAME KICK

When you’re into Perfection, Keep on Your Toes
You have to be quick, cause here how it goes
Push the plunger down, set the timer
Put the pieces in place
Don’t be slow, with Perfection
You gotta move on fast, move on fast
Before the pieces pop-up before you put in the last
And that’s perfection

I still remember the song to that commercial from many years ago when growing up and it keeps ringing in my head to the extent that I’m on this game kick. Not electronic, video, computerized or internet games; but board games. I’ve been having this fear that the board games that I grew up with will no longer be available and will eventually become obsolete; because everything is either or going electronic, video, computerized or internet.

I had some of these board games growing up and don’t remember what happened to them. Even some of the stores that only specialize in board games are folding. I remember Game Keeper, they had a couple of locations, well they all folded and now there’s only 2 places left; Game Towne and Game Empire that sell an extensive selection of board games.

You can still find some of these board games at drug, department and toy stores, but these places don’t have the variety of sizes, various kinds of woods and creative game pieces in Chess, Checkers, Backgammon, Mancala, Dominoes, Chinese Checkers or Mah Jong. These places lack the originality and uniqueness of these board games because most of them are made out of cardboard with plastic game pieces. The game stores game pieces come in wood, jade, marble, stone, tile & metal and of course you would have to be willing to spend booco bucks for wood, distinctive game pieces and larger sizes of these board games. I must admit that the average board games such as Monopoly, Clue, Life, etc are less expensive at drug, department & toy stores than these games stores.

Another thing that I like about these game stores is that I saw a lot of games that I never even heard of in addition, they still have some of the older games that I would estimate date back to the early 1900’s maybe even older. They also have different kinds of Chess; I even saw a Star Wars Chess set. You’re not going to find these games at your typical drug, toy or department store.

When I went shopping for these games there are some many versions of Monopoly I was overwhelmed, but I still prefer the original version. There were also several Pop Culture Games that interest me, but they were expensive. Mulysa, I went to a couple of places that only specialize in board games, Game Towne & Game Empire but still no luck in finding that game you described to me with blocks and marbles; I’ll keep my eye open though. I bought some of these games for TC; her birthday is coming up soon, Mulysa’s kids and myself.

17 Comments:

Blogger Mulysa said...

dayy loves the pick-up sticks! she brought them to my mom's house. my mom was a master at jacks when she was a kid.

thank you! i love having games for the kids that are simple, mobile and fun!

i challenge screg to a game of blokus!

6:08 PM  
Blogger HotFudge said...

Your welcome Mulysa. I'm glad Day loves the Pick-up-Stixs.

Jax was one of my favorite games growing up too.

What is Blokus?

9:31 PM  
Blogger caninecologne said...

thanks again for the Pick Up Sticks. Instead of playing it the 'real' way, she was building "battle stations" and "space ships" and preparing for a space battle. this is what happens when you have two nerds for parents.

she hasn't learned how to do jacks yet, but i will teach her when she is more coordinated. you are always so thoughtful, thinking of her.

now if you could find those colorful Chinese jacks....

9:52 PM  
Blogger HotFudge said...

They sell the colorful Chinese Jax at Walmart, KB Toys & Sears Essential.

Their are 2 kinds of sets, one is plastic and the other rubber; they both come with 2 balls. The ones sold at Sears Essentials come with a Jump Rope.

The prices range from close to $1.00 to around $3.00.

12:07 AM  
Blogger caninecologne said...

Wow, is there anything you DON'T know? Thanks for the tips on the Chinese jacks!!!! :)

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg, I LOVE chinese jacks! It was so fun making your on special piece. I'd been looking for these for years but havent found them.

I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and hit WalMart again.

I remember playing jacks on the sidewalk with my two childhood friends. I'm pretty sure we ended up polishing the sidewalk completely smooth after all those years.

The thing that disappoints me about board games nowadays is the quality. The game pieces are thinner and more generic, less detail. Also, the boxes that store them are soooo flimsy, they wouldn't last 6 months of regular use.

8:04 AM  
Blogger bert wolfe said...

Sounds like its time to have a "Board Game Night". Anyone interested?

Personally, I've been wanting to play Scrabble. We "school boys" used to play this back in HS.

TC, Canine and I played Candyland a few days ago. Of course, TC kicked our butts.

9:03 AM  
Blogger HotFudge said...

Canine,
Is there anything I don't know? Hmmm, that math formula that Mulysa recently posted; I always sucked at math.

Lotus,
Your right, the cardboard games quality is not like they use to be. They are insubstantial and don't last very long.

Bert,
Mr. Saliva's sister bought him a pop culture game for X-Mas last year that I'm very interested in playing. Maybe someone can remind him to bring it at the next gathering this month; hint, hint.

2:05 PM  
Blogger caninecologne said...

who's Mr. Saliva???

7:16 PM  
Blogger HotFudge said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:03 PM  
Blogger HotFudge said...

Randy, I call him Mr. Saliva.

9:55 AM  
Blogger caninecologne said...

that's who i thought it could have been, but i was confused because you said his "sister" bought him a pop culture game. he has 3 brothers. maybe you meant sister in law or something.

10:05 AM  
Blogger HotFudge said...

Oh, he has 3 brothers. When he told me I remember hearing the word sister, so he must have said sister-in-law.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Mulysa said...

haha!

hot fudge! i think you are talking about totu! HIS little sis bought him that game we were all playing at my house last year...

is that the game you're talking about?

if it is, i actually have it..

it's called "odd's R"

5:29 PM  
Blogger HotFudge said...

No, not that difficult game that we all played that night. How could I forget that game; it took us awhile just to figure out how to play it. You were the only one that was able to figure out the rules.

I also remember Randy mentioning a pop culture game that he said a family member had bought him for
X-Mas. He showed it to me when we met him at Fudddruckers that day and sat in his SUV.

11:54 PM  
Blogger ScregMan said...

Okay... You remember Perfection, but do you remember Superfection?

1:15 PM  
Blogger HotFudge said...

Superfection sounds familiar but I don't remember anything about the game.

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home